Michał Krawczak, PhD, associate professor, vice-Director of Theater and Media Arts Department, program director and co-founder of Humanities Art and Technology Research Center at AMU (artandsciencestudies.com) and a member of research and art collective Dead Baitz. He is also the head of Stanislaw Lem Laboratory for Experimental Media (LEM) at AMU. He was giving lectures and workshops i. a. at Folkwang Universität der Künste, DE (2015), Harvard University, Boston (2015), Emerson College, Boston (2015). In 2015 he was also on research stay in Zürcher Hochschule der Künste in Zurich, Switzerland. Author, designer and curator of art and science projects, such as Transnature is Here (2013), Post-Apocalypsis (2015), Anaesthesia (2016). He was awarded Golden Medal for sound design for collective interactive installation Post-Apocalypsis (2015) at the Prague Quadrennial of Performance Design and Space, Czech Republic.
Fields of research:
- media art
- designing space and dramaturgy for virtual reality
- ecology of sound and sound design
- social robotics
- artificial intelligence and technological natures
– Economy of Performance. The Case of Marina Abramović. Essays, AMU Press 2018. [in print] (only in Polish)
– Post-Technological Experiences. Art-Science-Culture, ed. M. Krawczak, AMU Press 2018. [in print]
– Performing Art&Science. H.A.T. Research Projects, [in] Post-Technological Experiences. Art-Science-Culture, UAM 2018.
– The difficult relations between art, science and technology in Poland. [co-author A. Jelewska] [in] Art and Technology in Poland. From Cybercommunism to the Culture of Makers, ed. Agnieszka Jelewska, AMU 2014.
– Media democratisation: Creative programming and the culture of makers, [in] Art and Technology in Poland. From Cybercommunism to the Culture of Makers, ed. A. Jelewska, AMU, 2014.
– Symbiotic tangles, [co-author A. Jelewska], [in] Art and Technology in Poland. From Cybercommunism to the Culture of Makers, ed. A. Jelewska, AMU 2014, p. 239-245.
– Designing interaction: software and performing arts, “Didaskalia” 112/2012. (only in Polish)
– Ecosystem of Post-Apocalypsis, [in:] Post-Apocalypsis, ed. A. Kubas, Theatre Institute Warsaw, 2015.
– Transnature Is Here, curatorial text [w:] Oh Man, oh Machine, Malta Festival, Poznan 2013 [co-author A. Jelewska]
– Research grant: Mediated environments. New humanities practices in transdisciplinary research; funded by National Program for Humanities (2016-2019) Humanities, Art and Technology Research Center, main investigator
– Research grant: Art as laboratory of new society. Cultural consequences of post-technological turn; grant from National Science Centre, (2015-2019), Humanities, Art and Technology Research Center, main investigator
– Research grant: Algorithms of new democratization. Polish art in digital era; grant form National Science Centre, (2011-2014), Humanities, Art and Technology Research Center, main investigator
– Art and research grant: Anaesthesia. Transopera project, [with Daed Baitz collective], Placowka program, Theatre Institute Warsaw, (2015-2016).
Selected curatorial and artistic experiences:
– Arthropocene, 2017 (sound and video design)
– Anaesthesia, 2016 (dramaturgy and interaction design)
– I have an Other-ache, 2015 (sound and video design)
– Post-Apocalypsis, 2015 (experience design)
– We, the Children from Project Earth, 2014 (dramaturgy and interaction design)
– Transnature is Here, 2013 (curator)
Leading international labs and workshop:
– Hyperobjects. Technological laboratory (Movements Factory, Poznan, Poland 2017)
– Designing transopera (Theatre Institute, Warsaw, Poland 2016)
– Affective Communication (Folkwang Universität der Künste, Essen, Germany 2015)
– Emotional Urban Weather (Theater Institute, Warsaw, Poland 2014)